Bike of the Month - August 2014 - mikef's RF900RV

Members will be approached and asked to submit an article and pictures (can be taken from photobucket) of their bike. Don't ask us - we will ask you. rfinfo#

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Bike of the Month - August 2014 - mikef's RF900RV

Post by Drac »

Hi everyone,

Here is my 1997 RF900RV originally Black/Maroon. I bought it 9 years ago after a time away from bike ownership. RF's were recommended
by an ex pal I worked with in a large bike dealership. I bought it as a treat to myself. I did a lot of research and spent a lot
of time on this website!!!

I rode the bike for a few thousand miles and started changing things to suit what I wanted from the bike. I'll put it in groups.

Wheels/tyres
The bike has Michelin tyres. I used Blackshadow wavy discs all held on with pro bolt Stainless disc bolts.I chromed the spindles as
Suzuki spindles go scabby.

Suspension
Standard suspension was noisy and budget. I changed fork springs for hagon messed around with spacers etc however
I had a windfall and send the forks to maxton for a complete conversion. The forks are amazing, smooth, quiet fabulously
well controlled!! I put a Hagon unit on the back with a remote pre load adjuster to keep things easy, again a huge difference
and well worth doing. I had dog bones made to raise ride height by 5mm, I knew I would put raised bars on and this would
move weight backwards so used dog bones to pitch weight forward hopefully one cancels out the other.

Brakes
I spent ages on brakes!! Fell for the six pot lie and also bought PT (Performance Technology) hayabusa clutch
and brake uprated master cylinders. In theory an uprated Hayabusa system on an RF, wasn't what I thought it should be.
I found brake caliper brackets allowing Brembo 4 pots to be fitted. fitted these and made up my own goodridge brake hoses.
RF rear brakes are heavy and look scabby!! more chroming and pro bolt and a Harrison Billet brake assy for an early bandit
1200 fits straight on. leaves torque arm brackets on swing arm which will be cut off eventually. The brakes are great.

Engine
The engine is pretty standard as I think the unit is fabulous!! I have fitted a 16t sprocket to help rid the "buzzy" feeling at
cruising speeds. A micron can and K&N air filter element also HD clutch springs and Iridium plugs as well as an Ignition
advancer (4 degrees).

Riding Position
I wanted a more upright position so read about various changes that could be made and started with handlebar position.
I messed around for weeks but finished up with an ABM top yoke with Renthal handlebars, QA throttle and MRA screen.
I hate to see handlebar wiring and cables which are stressed and routed terribly so I made my own Goodridge hoses and
had extended wiring for the handlebar switches and Venhill made extended throttle and choke cables.

Left handlebar

Right handlebar

Clocks

Footrest

Seat
Corbin seat is excellent and seems better with the upright position. I made footrests from Buell originals and they
were good but I saw another option which is adjustable and fitted them and they work well.

Bodywork/Paint
I extended the front mudguard to help protect radiator and filled/painted it up. A big thanks to Steve Holmes who
sold me a set of bodywork which is painted luverly!!! thanks Steve. My bodywork got a broken side panel in a garage
accident. I still have a beowulf rad guard to fit and a Muzzy fan. I want an Undertray fitted but I want it a bit more
tailored by shifting components and making new brackets (Thanks FF for those you sent me) to get it to fit the way
I want it to.

These photos were taken before a "shakedown run" and the bike needed a wash/polish etc. The bike ran wonderfully
well on the run and now needs to be run and enjoyed. I think I spent about 5k till now and some folks think it's too
much, but it fits me right has quality components and goes, handles and feels wonderful. What would you buy for 5k
as a standard bike? I love it and can't think off anything I'd rather have.

Photos and write up submitted to Drac by Mikef
mikef

Re: Bike of the Month - August 2014 - mikef's RF900RV

Post by mikef »

Drac,
Thank you very much, so much better than I would ever have managed!! Glad you like it.
Regards,
Mike Fyvie
Privateer

Post by Privateer »

Lovely looking bike Mike. To my eyes all your mods make sense and look right. Enjoy. ^:)^
I may be growing old but I'm NEVER growing up.
alien937

Post by alien937 »

Looks fantastic! i was thinking of a front fork revalve etc by maxton, how much nowdays about £250? :-?
suzukigoof

Post by suzukigoof »

=p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ love it m8, absolutely love it... you got a cracker there for sure.. ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
JUST RIDE IT
Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Post by Drac »

and anyone else who wants to see their bike on 'BOTM' contact me by PM and we can set it rolling.

There are gaps in between some months as no one seems to want to put their bikes up for it.

The bike does not have to be anything special, just your ride and it also doesn't have to be an RF
mikef

Post by mikef »

My gratefull thank's to everybody for your kind comments/observations and to all those on the site past and present who have helped me with advice, parts and mod suggestions :D
Kirbo

Post by Kirbo »

A beauty there Mike nice write up, I like how the cat tries to steal the limelight in that pic!