Bike of the Month - August - Hippy Smurf's RF900

Members will be approached and asked to submit an article and pictures (can be taken from photobucket) of their bike. Don't ask us - we will ask you. rfinfo#

Moderators: suzukigoof, b00geyman, novocaine, jaz66, rodge, badanimal

Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Bike of the Month - August - Hippy Smurf's RF900

Post by Drac »

Well as all teenager's dream off massive superbike's in reality the thing's we start off with are far from the poster's or mag's we all had as kid's. So when I could get on the road, I did.

The chosen mode of wheel's was a mate’s er50, once I'd outgrow that which, I quickly did, that turned into a gp100, which was swapped for a mk1 dt125. Then I passed my test and brought a (cough cough) Honda rs250 super ream with an electric start.

Then managed to swap that for my first car (mini) and a rd 200 coffin tank, then we had to sell all our toy’s because we were expecting our first and our only child, so fast forward 15 years. We had moved to a small town, when Anna (my wife) said she wanted 2 kitten’s!! “Sure hun” I said with a glint in my eye knowing that my time had come!

I'd been looking into buying another bike for a little while and that was 5 year’s ago, and since then I’ve been lucky enough to have owned two bike’s both RF's.

The first a lovely teal coloured rf600 r-reg bought for the small sum off £1,800 (bless e-bay) it also came with extra’s (two full set’s of leather’s, glove’s and helmet’s + a race can and a paddock stand). Bargain because I’d had 15 year’s off my own bike so needed everything again. One small problem I had to overcome, it was 180 mile’s away in Paignton, Devon.

With a little heart flutter I brought it and booked my ticket to travel. A few sleepless night’s later I woke for my travel day, and I tell you it’s a bloody long way by bus, but luckily my big sister live’s down that way so stayed over at her hotel for the night.

Next day we went along to pick up my bike and what a bloody heart stopping ride back I had, but I had the largest grin on my face when I returned home later that day.

And that was the start of it. I had the bug back, that was a lovely summer, and got my wife on the back for a few ride outs. Any excuse to get the bike out and we did. I can’t say how much we enjoyed the time with that bike and I still miss it at time’s…..but there was alway’s something at the back off my mind…… something missing???? Then it clicked……

I needed more speed. Anna was on e-bay again one day, and came across a monster of a bike, a bigger brother to my 600. I didn`t even know they made a larger RF. So I had to have another - you know what it’s like.

So another long journey was on the card’s and again as it was 180 mile’s away, but this time it was to the South West coast of Wales. So another day trip out, and £1,650 later and I had my first big bike, and what a monster she was too.

We left the bike shop and I filled her up to the brim, grabbed a handful of throttle and crapped myself…..did I need all this power? He he he. A MacDonald’s was had and I calmed myself down , and came home. 168 mile’s later and just 10 mile’s from home, the fuel light came on (and I’d had a good time on the way back) with another massive grin on my face

He he he he. So I now had two bike's, and another summer was had. Anna got used to a larger seat whilst I got used to the massive acceleration difference, but the one thing I couldn’t get over was how much it fitted me like a glove. It is bloody ace, so different from the 600 I can tell you - if you are thinking off upgrading to the 900, do it now.

I’ve changed the filter and plug’s and the exhaust can (blueflame), and thrown the famous pink wire away. It’s been 3 year’s now that I have owned her, she still only has just 1400 mile’s on her at the last mot. And the best thing is that my mate (ozar) had a go on her, then went out and brought a 900RF also bless him.

The 600 went to Liverpool and I’ve never seen her since I sold her, still look on the bay to see if it come’s on at anytime, then out of the blue a family member phoned me and asked if I could look after his late father’s SV1000, while he sorted shipping to the other side off the world (Melbourne) that turned up from Spain in a right state. I cleaned the crud off it and it gleamed

I put a UK light on her and a fresh mot, plus a service and again she was good to go. I did manage a couple of long run’s out on her, a lot of grunt, but the fuel tank was tiny, at speed I had 110 miles to a tank full, but was breaking the speed limit a little.

My son liked the noise of this one at full throttle on the motorway to Paignton but Anna didn’t like the seat height - too much wind in her face.

I had the use off that one for a year, but i couldn’t afford to buy it from my brother-in-law, as my wife had her eye on the house next door. Then my brother-in-law hit a snag with shipping it out so it was sold and I was down to my monster RF 900 again.

So last year was spent re-building the house that we bought, if I managed to do 500 mile’s last year that was it. But this year she has promised me all the time I want on my 900, the house is finished, well apart from the bath panel (I will do it hun honest) but I have itchy hand’s again and I’m heading in the direction of a HAYABUSA I think. But not this year I think, any how thank’s for taking the time to read my short history on my biking life, and I’d like to take the time to thank Drac for all the hard work he put’s in on this site, keep up the good fight mate.

ADMAN

Re: Bike of the Month - August - Hippy Smurf's RF900

Post by ADMAN »

Very nice... :ymapplause: And...

By far,the best color RF900 out there!!!
Tony V

Post by Tony V »

Great story mate, and a superb bike, well done :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Never rub another mans rhubarb!
bigtom

Post by bigtom »

what a lovely bike mate ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^
hippy-smurf

Post by hippy-smurf »

wooooo hooo it's on, thats very much all, a once again ty drac for takeing the time to pop iy on for me :D :D
Drac
Location: South Gloucestershire (5m to Bristol & 13m to Bath)

Post by Drac »

hippy-smurf wrote:wooooo hooo it's on, thats very much all, a once again ty drac for takeing the time to pop iy on for me :D :D
No problem Lea - thanks for doing it

Now anyone else would like to see their bike here, just contact me - obviously only one bike per month so first come - first done!
Royster

Post by Royster »

The bike gleams like new - and a great number plate

Royster
hippy-smurf

Post by hippy-smurf »

cheer's royster, i do tickle it with a duster now and then :D the plate my wife found me for my birthday the other year,not had the pull yet for the space's on it :-ss
Old wobbler
The Bandit Killer

Post by Old wobbler »

Nice RF.
Old Wobbler

..... One day, when there was only a few left, I was lucky......
shandy

Post by shandy »

absolutely LOVING that can!!! lovely bike dude!
hippy-smurf

Post by hippy-smurf »

cheer's shady, it was a bargain off the bay, zx9 brand new £35 english pound's wooohooo, mate at the machine shop had to drill a extra hole to fit my exhaust but other than that it's all good :twisted:
hippy-smurf

Post by hippy-smurf »

sorry shandy, it's early and to many coke's with e number's in last night hehehehe
Finbar

Post by Finbar »

She's a beauty. :-bd
You ought to take up Bike Valeting. You'd make a fortune. ;)
hughie
The Geordie Destroyer

Post by hughie »

REAL NICE BIKE MATE .LOVE THE NUMBER PLATE :) :)
HUGH EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

U.S.S WARWICK HUNT